PRINCIPLES FOR GIVING
1. Disobedience in Giving Equals Stealing from God (Malachi 3:8)
God gives a clear warning: to withhold a biblical portion (10% of total household gross income) is to steal what is rightfully his. The principle is “firstfruits” — giving back to God first, with the first he has entrusted to me.
2. Giving Reflects a trust in God as our Provider (Malachi 3:10)
God challenges us to “put him to the test.” As we obey what he asks, he promises to meet our needs. We like to say, “90% with you and God is greater than 100% on your own.”
3. Tithing is a good Starting Point in Giving (Matthew 23:23 & Hebrews 7:1-2)
The tithe is a universal principle, not just an Old Testament command. If someone wonders where to begin giving, 10% is a good starting point. Anything given over and above the tithe is called an offering.
Rewards of Giving
1. God Rewards the Giver Proportionate to the Sacrifice (2 Corinthians 9:6)
Whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. God wants to reward the person who gives generously and obediently to him.
2. Most rewards are not financial
God’s rewards come in many forms:
Holiness: God makes you more like Jesus as you apply his word to your life – John 14:21
Ministry: My life bears increased fruit for his glory – John 15:8